7 Secrets of Persuasion is accessible, smart, and important. Jim Crimmins has distilled his years of experience as a professional persuader
and advertiser into a book on how to develop compelling and persuasive messages…it is well worth our attention.
Whether your goal is to persuade one person—a husband, child, or boss—or the millions who might purchase an Apple Watch or a Budweiser, 7 Secrets of Persuasion will show you how to:
- Unearth the motivation that actually changes a behavior like smoking, voting, or buying, even though people don’t know why they do what they do
- Tap into the mental process that gives religious symbols, political symbols, and commercial logos their power
- Make a promise that is delayed, uncertain, and rational more compelling by making it immediate, certain, and emotional
- Transform your candidate, service, or product into the one people want by utilizing what psychologists call the “fundamental attribution error”
Anyone who wishes to persuade a child, a boss, a partner, a spouse, or a customer in a showroom should read this book. The principles of persuasion Jim Crimmins reveals on the pages that follow apply in any situation where individuals need to be persuaded to do something they are not doing or, conversely, to be persuaded not to do something they are already doing.
7 Secrets of Persuasion ebook takes the latest scientific insights about the mind and applies them to the art of persuasion. Until now, persuasion has been hit or miss because would-be persuaders didn’t understand how we choose.
The seven secrets of persuasion revealed in this book are not a collection of separate techniques that you need to choose among. You can use any one, two, or all of them whenever you attempt to persuade, whether you seek to persuade one or many, and whether the goal is important or trivial.
1. Getting to Know the Lizard 13
2. Speak the Language of the Lizard: Basic Grammar 31
3. Speak the Language of the Lizard: Style 47
4. Aim at the Act, Not the Attitude 69
5. Don’t Change Desires, Fulfill Them 89
6. Never Ask, Unearth 111
7. Focus on Feeling 131
8. Create Experience With Expectation 145
9. Add a Little Art 157
10. Personal Persuasion 175
Chapter Notes 189